Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Church and Remodeling







I don't have much to say about this outfit.  I wore it to church, it was fine.  However, I wanted to share about our current remodeling project.  We're redoing a bathroom in the rental house.  It is only 6 feet by 6 feet.  Fitting a functional bathroom into that space is very challenging.  Right now we're only putting in 2 of the fixtures (sink and toilet), but when I save up some more money in that account eventually we will add a shower, now that we've rearranged the room to accommodate it.

Taking pics in such a small space is awkward too, but here's what I've got.

It's never as easy as taking down wall board and putting up new.  As soon as you get in there, you find out that you need to replace whole sections of framing, ancient wiring, and that some idiot used blown in  insulation that you now need to replace with batting.  


You can't fit a whole 8 foot sheet of drywall into a 6x6 room.  You have to cut it, and then seam it.  And then add more cuts and seams because of course the wall is like 8 foot 9 or something stupid like that. 


Drywalling sucks.  I'm getting better at it, though.  This pic is only the first coat.



 That VCT tile I got at the Habitat for Humanity store is FREAKING AWESOME and so easy to work with.  I totally should have gotten more stuff at Habitat and must go again soon except it's Sunday and they are closed not only Sunday but also Monday.  However next time I should also buy the adhesive remover when buying the adhesive, so I don't have to type blog entries wearing rubber gloves.  Also awesome, the "toilet in a box" thing at Menards that includes the toilet, seat, bolts, mechanisms, and wax ring.  How wonderful to not have the opportunity to forget some component!


Still to  do:
Me-
Remove excess adhesive from floor
Finish drywall seams and corners
Paint (got a pretty Green at the Habitat store)

Hubby-
Plumb sink
Ceiling light fixture
Miter-cut and attach floor / ceiling / window trims

1 comment:

  1. Woah! Huge project underway. Good for you. I'm always impressed by people who tackle such projects and can DIY.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!