Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Early New Year's Resolutions.

Shybiker posted recently about belonging to a local interest club, and asked for commenters to share what type of clubs they belong to... what kind of stuff they're up to other than blogging.  I said that I am involved at church (I lead a teen group), and that I belong to a Mopar car club - at least in part to get my recluse husband out socializing with other adults.

But then I got to thinking about it.  I've been thinking a lot lately about how the balance of things I do in my life doesn't match up with how I rate their importance in my life, and how I can make adjustments so my life is more reflective of my values.  I used to do so many more things, and sometimes it feels like my life has come to a standstill since the day I accepted this job offer.  I'm looking not just for the Oprah-endorsed work/life balance, but for balance in the "life" portion of that phrase!

As I write this, my sister's husband is currently in a play.  How awesome is that, to take time out of a busy law career to participate in community theatre?  Feeds the soul.  I used to be involved in theatre, but with the 24/7 on-call nature of my job, I wouldn't even be able to audition because the time commitment is just not compatible.  It's funny, I should have all sorts of time at this point in my life.  We're financially stable, Kiddo is pretty self-directed and doesn't require the massive amounts of attention younger children do...  I'm in decent health... Why am I not doing the things that feed MY soul?

After a while it can get difficult to even identify those things.  I think that's what happened to Betty Friedan - the origin of the Feminine Mystique is the mid life woman looking up and saying "Oh God, I have been so wrapped up in being a wife and a mother, who am I as a person?"  Fortunately, I'm not THAT disconnected.  I remember the things I love, I just can't remember the last time I did them!  Sounds suspiciously like time for some goal setting, huh?  It's the beginning of November, but I'm going to set this to publish right after Christmas, and it will be interesting to see if it provides me with a kick in the pants - or if I'll have already started making steps in the right direction by then?  Here goes....

1.  Devoting time to friends.  We don't hang out enough in person.  Not just C (pictured), but D and A as well.  Sometimes I'm a crappy friend.  I blame my job.  Once that changes, we'll find out for sure, won't we?


2.  Doing stuff with my husband - away from any glowing screens!  And doing stuff FOR my husband, like the mountain of laundry that has taken up permanent residence in here.


3.  Reading.  Not re-reading my childhood favorites, but taking on more challenging and current material.  I just joined a book club on Meetup.com towards this end.  Also, hubby is getting me a Kindle for Giftmas!

4.  Art of some sort.  Still working out what I can do there.  Hmm... what image to use?  Ooh, this Mary Capan triptych is gorgeous.


5.  Drum Corps.  The season is over, and I didn't go to a single show.  The last time I did was when I competed, half my lifetime ago!  (Can you find me in this pic?  Hint, I was blonde!)  Next season I will go.


6.  Physical activity.  I used to walk and go rock climbing and now I sit on my ass.  What's up with that?  I loved ziplining, so I will use that photo!



7.  School.  I'm not done learning yet.  Never will be.



8.  Weddings.  I miss them!


9.  Church.  I am involved now, and don't want to sacrifice it again.  It's important to me.


10.  Social Activism.  I will continue to promote and defend my belief system through non-violent protest.




The career change I am planning will make prioritizing these things much easier.  It will be nice to be on my own clock again.

Does your life reflect what you want it to?  If someone looked at your weekly planner, would they have a clear understanding of who you are and what's important to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!